Protection and maintenance of information and data are keys to running a successful business today. Every industry sector is vulnerable to internal and external threats, so placing due diligence, risk management, personnel training, and policy development is high on the priority list for protecting any business.
Fowler White is known both for its legal expertise and its command of technology. We provide clients comprehensive counsel of all substantive areas of data security and privacy, including information technology, financial, health, employment and personal privacy, litigation and technology transactions.
Our team offers a full range of solutions for companies of all sizes, from startups to Fortune 500, and across industry sectors at every stage of the data lifecycle. We understand the unique needs and obligations of businesses in different industries and develop workable data privacy and security programs as well as specific agreements for confidentiality, nondisclosure, data-hosting and similar issues. Our attorneys assist employers and businesses in meeting their regulatory compliance and common law privacy obligations for the consumer, employee and patient information they collect, process, disclose or store.
We advise on:
- Development and implementation of data security policies
- Data loss prevention and risk management
- Breach notification and incident response duties
- International and United States data security compliance with laws including:
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA)
- California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA)
- Florida Computer Abuse and Data Recovery Act (CADRA)
- New York SHIELD Act
- Transactional due diligence and data protection
- Advise regarding blockchain and distributed ledger technology transactions, including non-fungible token (NFT) transactions
- International and United States government inquiries related to data privacy and electronic surveillance
- Business transactions involving high-tech clients and other companies where data security is at issue
- Education and training on personally identifiable information best practices and policies
- Cyberattack risk insurance coverage
- Industry-specific compliance considerations in healthcare and other industries
Our team also helps businesses anticipate changes to privacy and data security laws and shape their practices to avoid costly and enterprise-threatening legal and regulatory exposures.
Whether you are developing data security policies, responding to data breaches or government inquiries or reviewing your current practices to make sure you are complying with privacy laws, our team is prepared to help you navigate the maze of data security and privacy regulation.