Laura Ross is an Associate in the firm's Corporate Group. Her practice is focused in the areas of international law, corporate transactions, corporate law, and business immigration. She represents foreign investors establishing companies in the United States, and assists foreign individuals and businesses with all aspects of setting up their U.S. operations.
Laura works with multinational corporations, foreign clients and entrepreneurs relocating, investing, and conducting business operations in the United States across a diverse array of industries, including manufacturers, distributors and international financial institutions. Her experience includes drafting a wide range of agreements, such as corporate governance documents, marketing, licensing, non-competition, employment, independent contractor, distribution, joint venture and purchase and sale of assets.
Laura manages the specialized needs of high net worth foreign national entrepreneurs and investors, which includes establishing offshore bank accounts and trusts, pre-immigration tax and estate planning, estate and wealth transfer planning, physical presence and closer connection analysis. She has advised foreign clients regarding the corporate structure for acquiring U.S. real property, investments, and yachts.
In addition to her international corporate law experience, Laura has represented yacht manufacturers, yacht owners, and yacht charterers in a variety of international maritime compliance issues. She has represented buyers and owners of private yachts in ownership, documentation, registration, vessel crew agreements and yacht management agreements. Furthermore, she provides guidance to yacht manufacturers and owners through U.S. Customs and Border Protection issues, such as entry procedures, documentation, duty and crew visas.
Laura has extensive experience counseling foreign investors, entrepreneurs, and professional athletes in obtaining both non-immigrant and immigrant status with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, including H-1, L-1, and E1/E2, O1A and other permanent residency petitions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represent Brazil's largest broker-dealer in various corporate transactions, tax planning, and business immigration matters in the United States.
- Represent Brazil's largest fraud protection company in establishment of its U.S. operation, including drafting the company's terms and conditions for services, warranties and trademark registrations.
- Represent a renowned Latin American artist and performer in multiple yacht transactions.
- Represented a major Brazilian hydraulic piping manufacturer in the acquisition of a U.S.-based competitor.
- Represent multiple FIFA world cup athletes setting up royalty payment structures whereby image rights were licensed for use in the U.S.
- Represented an Italian yacht manufacturer setting up a fractional ownership and yacht management program in the U.S.
- Obtained U.S. residency for multiple entrepreneurs of extraordinary ability.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Florida Bar- Florida International Law Section
- Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce of Florida
June 18, 2018, APEX Brasil Missão de Internacionalização de Empresas Para Estados Unidos, presented 2 programs in Portuguese: "Tipos Societários para formação de empresas nos EUA," and "Relações trabalhistas e obtenção de visto para os EUA"
- 2018 Presentation for 'XP Summit 2018' entitled "Expandindo sua operação para os Estados Unidos."
- 2017 Presentation for APEX Brasil entitled: "O Processo do Visto: Um guia para os diversos tipos de visto, baseados em empregos específicos para empresas Brasileiras e investidores nos Estados Unidos."
- 2016 Presentation at the Leandro Stormer Trading School entitled: “Como investir nos Estados Unidos e imigrar legalmente.”
- 2014 Annual Florida Yacht Brokers Association Yacht Sales and the Law Conference, “Crew Visas: Consular Rules and Regulations.”