Alonso E. Sanchez is a Shareholder in the Miami office's Tax Practice Group.
Alonso focuses his practice on domestic and international taxation, corporate law, estate- planning, and wealth preservation. He is experienced in stock and asset acquisition, as well as working with investors, investment funds on tax efficient structures for inbound and outbound investments. Alonso handles tax restructuring, joint ventures, and a broad range of other matters.
He serves as an advisor on a variety of tax issues relating to controlled foreign corporations, passive foreign investment companies, corporations, partnerships, FIRPTA, and the reporting of undisclosed income and/or foreign financial assets from offshore accounts through IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Programs.
Alonso earned his J.D. from American University Washington College of Law and his B.S. in Finance from the University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management.
- Speaker, "Doing Business in Latin America – Inbound Investments and Profit Repatriation", Baker Tilly's Doing Business Series, Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 2015
- Speaker, "FACTA Withholding Regime", Instituto Colombiano de Derecho Tributario (Colombian Institute of Tax Law), Bogota, Colombia, October 2012
- Speaker, "FACTA Withholding Regime", Los Andes University Graduate Tax Program, Bogota, Colombia, November 2012
- Speaker, "Navigating the FACTA Maze- Trustee Companies", FACTA Consultants, Miami, Florida, March 2013
- Co-Author, "Wait a Minute! The IRS is Taxing Foreign E&P Earned before 2018?", Tax Section Bulletin, Volume 35, No. 1, Spring 2018, Florida Bar
- Co-Author, "New Legislation Modifies U.S. Withholding Regime", India Law News, Volume 1, Issue 4, Summer 2010, ABA Section of International Law
- Co-Author, "New Treaties Between India and Colombia", International Legal Developments Year In Review 2011, The International Lawyer, Volume 46, Number , Spring 2012