Beth Johnson has defended employers against all types of employment-related claims, including: discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, whistleblower suits, FMLA violations, breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets. Beth regularly litigates cases in state and federal courts, as well as before a number of administrative agencies. In addition, Beth conducts training seminars for management and human resource professionals on critical topics.
Beth's practice involves all aspects of labor and employment law. With over 30 years of experience, Beth has represented employers, from the private and non-profit sectors, on the full range of employment-related matters and disputes. Her practice includes counseling clients with regard to such issues as human resources policies and procedures, workforce reduction, workplace privacy and social media issues, compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and litigation avoidance strategies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained directed verdict in favor of a university in whistle blower case, affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained defense verdict in FMLA case, affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment in a whistle blower case, affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment in a national origin case brought by a former student against a university, affirmed on appeal.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- HistoryMiami Museum
- Member, Trustees, 2019-Present
- ALFA International
- Board Member, 2013-2016
- Chair, Labor and Employment Practice Group, 2013-2015
- Program Chair, International Client Conference, 2012
- Academy of Florida Management Attorneys
- St. Thomas Episcopal Parish School
- Former Chair of Board
- Board of Trustees
- Ransom Everglades School
- Past Board of Trustees Member
- Junior League of Miami
- Past Vice-President for Community Projects
- Young Patronesses of the Opera
- Panelist, "Current Trends in Workplace Harassment and How to Reduce Exposure: Bullying, Religious Discrimination, and Third-Party Discrimination, " American Conference Institute (ACI) Employment Practices Liability Insurance Conference, July 28, 2015
- Panelist, "Employment and Labor Law Panel," FIU Law’s Employment and Labor Law Society, March 19, 2015
- Moderator, “Issues in Representing Employers and Individual Defendants in Employment Litigation: Recognizing and Resolving Legal, Business and Perceived Conflicts,” ALFA International's EPLI & Professional Liability Seminar, June 2014
- Moderator, "Breaking News: Employment Law Issues yet to be Reported in the Mass Media," ALFA International's International Client Seminar (ICS), March 2014
- Moderator, "The Sky is Falling": Managing Workplace Crises, ALFA International’s Labor & Employment Practice Group Seminar, October 2013
- Speaker, “Retaliation: Since Burlington Northern,” ALFA International's Labor & Employment Practice Group Seminar, November 2010
- Speaker, “The ABC’s of FMLA & Disability Claims,” South Florida Hospitality Human Resources Association, September 2010
- Speaker, “Prelitigation Investigation by Insurers--Opportunities and Pitfalls,” ALFA International Seminar on Employer Liability, June 2010
- Speaker, “Sexual Harassment Prevention,” A Practitioner’s Guide to Labor and Employment Law Seminar, Duke University School of Law, 2006
- Speaker, “Motions to Compel Arbitration,” American Bar Association’s Section of Labor & Employment Law Midwinter Meeting, 2005
- Co-Author with Lindsay M. Massillon, "DOL Issues Final Rule on Fluctuating Workweek Method of Calculating Overtime," Daily Business Review, June 4, 2020
- Co-Author with Lindsay M. Massillon, "The Post-Pandemic Employer -- Five Tips for Management to Avoid Liability," Daily Business Review, May 22, 2020
- Co-Author with Lindsay M. Massillon, "Fowler White Labor & Employment Client Alert: Practical Guidance for Employers on Managing the COVID-19 Pandemic," Fowler White Burnett Legal Alert, April 2, 2020
- Co-Author with Lindsay M. Massillon, "Final DOL Rule on Joint Employers Goes Into Effect March 16," Daily Business Review Practice Focus/Labor & Employment, January 14, 2020
- Co-Author with Lindsay M. Massillon, "Employer Alert: DOL Issues Final Rule Extending Overtime to Over 1 Million Employees," Daily Business Review Practice Focus/Labor & Employment, September 26, 2019
- Co-Author with Lindsay M. Massillon, “NLRB: Arbitration Agreements Barring Employees From Opting In to Collective Actions Permissible,” Daily Business Review Practice Focus/Labor & Employment, September 17, 2019
- Co-Author with Lindsay M. Massillon, "What You Need to Know About the Department of Labor's New PAID Pilot Program," Daily Business Review Practice Focus Labor & Employment, November 21, 2018
- Co-Author, "Breaking Down New Regulatory and Administrative Initiatives in the L&E Space," Inside Counsel, July 2014