An accomplished appellate attorney, Esther Galicia focuses her practice in civil appeals at all levels. With over 30 years of experience, she has participated in more than 390 appellate proceedings, and in excess of 140 of those proceedings have resulted in published appellate decisions.
Esther has presented oral arguments before the Florida Supreme Court and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. She regularly appears before all five of Florida's District Courts of Appeal.
Attorneys and clients benefit from Esther’s combined knowledge of appellate practice and experience with various substantive areas of law, such as medical and professional malpractice, premises liability, automobile liability, product liability and insurance coverage as well as the procedural and evidentiary aspects of the law.
In addition, Esther provides litigation and trial support and appellate counseling. In this role, she works closely with litigators to develop legal strategies that strengthen a client’s position and identifies possible appellate issues that may arise during trial. Esther’s involvement at the trial stage helps to position a matter for a favorable outcome, whether at the trial court level or on appeal.
At the forefront of legal issues, Esther monitors legal developments and cases currently before the courts to alert attorneys and clients of any changes that may impact active cases. She is also a regular contributing author to the Florida Defense Lawyers Association’s Trial Advocate Quarterly.
Representative Legal Matters
Florida Supreme Court
- D'Angelo v. Fitzmaurice, 863 So. 2d 311 (Fla. 2003).
- Gonzalez v. Metropolitan Dade County Public Health Trust, 651 So. 2d 673 (Fla. 1995).
U.S. Court of Appeals
- Valente v. J.C. Penney Corp., Inc., 2011 WL 3585635 (11th Cir. 2011).
- Holmes v. West Palm Beach Housing Authority, 309 F. 3d 752 (11th Cir. 2002).
- Gold Coast Publications, Inc. v. Corrigan, 42 F. 3d 1336 (11th Cir. 1994).
Florida District Courts of Appeals
- Marco Marine Constr., Inc. v. Kopras, --- So.3d ----, 2019 WL 1646006 (Fla. 2d DCA Apr. 17, 2019).
- Mount Vernon Fire Insurance Co. v. New Moon Management Inc., 239 So. 3d 183 (Fla. 3d DCA 2018).
- Trujillo v. Franklin-Dodd Communications, 197 So. 3d 1200 (Fla. 3d DCA 2016).
- Middleton v. Hager, 179 So. 3d 529 (Fla. 3d DCA 2015).
- Royal Palm Hotel Property, LLC v. Deutsche Lufthansa Aktiengesellschaft, Inc., 133 So. 3d 1108 (Fla. 3d DCA 2014).
- Vallejos v. Lan Cargo S.A., 116 So. 3d 545 (Fla. 3d DCA 2013).
- Sugar v. Guardianship of Stern, 109 So. 3d 809 (Fla. 3d DCA 2013).
- The King's Academy, Inc. v. Doe, 29 So. 3d 439 (Fla. 4th DCA 2010).
- Hauss v. Waxman, 914 So. 2d 474 (Fla. 4th DCA 2005).
- Stockwell v. Drake, 901 So. 2d 974 (Fla. 4th DCA 2005).
- De Souza v. Ortiz, 901 So. 2d 269 (Fla. 4th DCA 2005).
- Marin v. Dealer Network Association, Inc., 870 So. 2d 857 (Fla. 3d DCA 2004).
- Wright v. American Multi-Media, Inc., 866 So. 2d 218 (Fla. 3d DCA 2004).
- Abifaraj v. Florida Birth-Related Neurological Injury Compensation Ass'n, 844 So. 2d 751 (Fla. 1st DCA 2003).
- Gouveia v. Phillips, 823 So. 2d 215 (Fla. 4th DCA 2002).
- Lincoln Insurance Co. v. Home Emergency Services, Inc., 812 So. 2d 433 (Fla. 3d DCA 2001)(en banc).
- Gayon v. Bally's Total Fitness Corp., 802 So. 2d 420 (Fla. 3d DCA 2001).
- Luster v. West Palm Beach Housing Authority, 801 So. 2d 122 (Fla. 4th DCA 2001).
- Waxman v. Truman, 792 So. 2d 657 (Fla. 4th DCA 2001).
- DeGale v. Krongold, Bass & Todd, 733 So. 2d 630 (Fla. 3d DCA 2000).
- Hall v. Anwar, M.D., 774 So. 2d 41 (Fla. 2d DCA 2000).
- Torres v. Matsushita Electric Corp., 762 So. 2d 1014 (Fla. 5th DCA 2000).
- Levin ex rel. Levin v. Welleby Management Ass'n, Inc., 757 So. 2d 531 (Fla. 4th DCA 2000).
- Williams v. Infinity Insurance Co., 745 So. 2d 573 (Fla. 5th DCA 1999).
- Desimone v. Old Dominion Insurance Co., 740 So. 2d 1233 (Fla. 4th DCA 1999).
- Subramanian v. Health Foundation Support Services of South Florida, Inc., 732 So. 2d 442 (Fla. 3d DCA 1999).
- Allstate Insurance Co. v. Mazzorana, 731 So. 2d 38 (Fla. 4th DCA 1999).
- Nicholson v. Hospital Corp. of America, 725 So. 2d 1264 (Fla. 4th DCA 1999).
- Miami Stage Lighting, Inc. v. Budget Rent-A-Car Systems, Inc., 712 So. 2d 1135 (Fla. 3d DCA 1998).
- Moreno v. Allen, 692 So. 2d 957 (Fla. 3d DCA 1997).
- Paul v. Humana Medical Plan, Inc., 682 So. 2d 1119 (Fla. 4th DCA 1996).
- Standard Fish Co., Ltd. v. 7337 Douglas Enterprises, Inc., 673 So. 2d 503 (Fla. 3d DCA 1996).
- Link v. Wolpowitz, 662 So. 2d 426 (Fla. 4th DCA 1995).
- Perez v. George, Hartz, Lundeen, Flagg & Fulmer, 662 So. 2d 361 (Fla. 3d DCA 1995).
- Lennar Homes, Inc. v. Gabb Const. Services, Inc., 654 So. 2d 649 (Fla. 3d DCA 1995).
- Healthtrust, Incorporated-the Hosp. v. Saunders, 651 So. 2d 188 (Fla. 4th DCA 1995).
- Spancrete, Inc. v. Ronald E. Frazier & Associates, P.A., 630 So. 2d 1197 (Fla. 3d DCA 1994).
- Haywood v. Samai, 624So. 2d 1154 (Fla. 4th DCA 1993).
- Nuta v. Genders, 617 So. 2d 329 (Fla. 4th DCA 1992).
- Plemendon v. Fernandez, 602 So. 2d 1379 (Fla. 4th DCA 1992).
- Walgreens, Inc. v. Newcomb, 603 So. 2d 5 (Fla. 4th DCA 1992).
- Davids v. A.R.A. Services, Inc., 572 So. 2d 14 (Fla. 3d DCA 1990).
- Keane v. Andrews, 574 So. 2d 165 (Fla. 4th DCA 1990).
- Weiner v. Prudential Mortg. Investors, Inc., 557 So. 2d 684 (Fla. 3d DCA 1990).
- Mankowitz v. Staub, 553 So. 2d 1299 (Fla. 3d DCA 1989).
- Maler By and Through Maler v. Barad, 541 So. 2d 684 (Fla. 3d DCA 1989).
- Bernard v. Hintz, 530 So. 2d 1055 (Fla. 4th DCA 1988).
- Johnson v. Canteen Corp., 528 So. 2d 1364 (Fla. 3d DCA 1988).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Florida Bar, 1985 – Present
- Committee on Professionalism, 2017-2018
- Appellate Practice Section (Charter Member), 1993 – Present
- Eleventh Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee 11 "D", 2009 – 2012
- Dade County Bar Association, 1986 – Present
- Appellate Court Committee, 1997 – 1998
- Dade County Defense Bar Association, 2009- Present
- American Bar Association, 1986 – 1991
- Broward County Bar Association, 1995 – Present
- Appellate Practice Section, 1998 – 2001
- Broward County Hispanic Bar Association, 2006 – 2013
- Recording Secretary, 2006 – 2008
- Cuban American Bar Association, 1986 – 1995; 2007 – Present
- Defense Research Institute, 1997 – Present
- Appellate Advocacy Committee, 2008 – Present
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers, 1986 – 1988
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association (FDLA), 1997 – Present
- Editorial Board Member of the Trial Advocate Quarterly, 1997 – Present
- Florida Justice Association Medicare Committee, 2009 – Present
- Rosemary Barkett Appellate America Inn of Court (Bencher), 2009 – 2012
- Third DCA Historical Society (Charter Member), 2008 – Present
- Co-Presenter, “Preserving Your Right to Appeal: The Ins and Outs of the Appellate Brief; Oral Argument Considerations and Techniques,” National Business Institute Seminar, 2006
- Lecturer, “General Liability Case Law Update,” Florida Liability Claims Conference, Florida Defense Lawyers Association, 2001
- Author, "Recent Legal Developments," Trial Advocate Quarterly, Florida Defense Lawyers Association, 1997-Present
- Author, "3rd District Issues Favorable Decision for Defendants Regarding Plaintiff's Discovery of Defendant's Work Product," Fowler White Burnett, P.A. Legal Alert, October 5, 2015, Re-published by JD Supra Business Advisor, October 6, 2015
- Co-Author, "Product Liability Cases and the Duty to Warn: A 50 State Compendium" (Florida Section), The Defense Research Institute Defense Library Series, 2007
- Author, “Permissible Ex Parte Communications with Health Care Providers After Acosta v. Richter - The Vicarious Liability Exception to Patient Confidentiality,” Trial Advocate Quarterly, Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Fall 1997