Joseph Englander is a Shareholder in the Miami office of the firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group.
Joseph handles a broad range of intellectual property matters, including the prosecution of United States and international patents, trademarks and copyrights, the negotiation and enforcement of intellectual property transactions and licensing agreements and the representation of corporations and individuals in intellectual property disputes and related corporate matters. Joe is experienced in trials before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Additionally, Joseph manages domain name arbitration's and performs due diligence for acquisitions of corporations and intellectual property portfolios. He prepares clients' worldwide intellectual property protection strategies and drafts and enforces client software agreements.
Joseph's intellectual property experience has allowed him to conduct intellectual property seminars and advise art fair and museum clients regarding international copyright and trademark issues. Joseph also handles related Customs, Trade Secret, FDA and Food and Beverage Law issues for his clients.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Broward County Bar Association, 2002-2016
- Chair, Intellectual Property Section, 2002-2004; 2006-2013
- International Trademark Association, 2005-Present
- Parallel Imports Committee, 2018-2019
- U.S. Legislative Committee, 2014-2015
- Anti-counterfeiting Committee, 2012-2013
- International Amicus Committee, 2010-2011
- Advisor to Dranhoff International 2 Piano Foundation, 2013-2016
- Intellectual Property Advisor to Perez Art Museum of Miami, 2016-Present
- Lecturer at the Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale, 2008-Present
- Englander, Joseph."Domain Demense" IPPro The Internet, 7 August 2018.
- Englander, Joseph. "Red Hen Confusion Is A Trademark Lesson For All" Daily Business Review, 17 July 2018.
- Englander, Joseph. "The Impact of GDPR: a US Perspective" IPPro The Internet, 10 July 2018.
- Englander, Joseph. “Red Hen Leads to a Good Trademark Lesson” 25 June 2018.
- Englander, Joseph. “FCC Repeals Net Neutrality Rules; Businesses Should be Vigilant for Effects” 14 December 2017.
- Englander, Joseph. “Bakery’s Declaration of Love Goes Rejected by FDA” 4 October 2017.
- Englander, Joseph. “Free Speech Clause Overcomes Disparaging Marks; Some Scandalous Marks Now Also Likely Registrable” 19 June 2017.
- Englander, Joseph. “SCOTUS Restricts Corporate Residence Definition, Easing the Burden of Patent Infringement Defense” 22 May 2017.
- Englander, Joseph. “Game On For Uniform Design Protection!” 22 March 2017.
- Englander, Joseph. “Federal Circuit Limits Covered Business Method Review to Specifically Claimed Financial Inventions” 22 Feb. 2017.
- Englander, Joseph. “Copyright Case Illustrates Importance of Informing Insurer Immediately” 12 Jan. 2017.
- Englander, Joseph. “U.S. Supreme Court Unanimously Reverses Award of Design Patent Infringement Damages in Apple v. Samsung” 6 December 2016.
- Englander, Joseph. “The Sale of Two Hats May Constitute Sufficient Use In Commerce For U.S. Trademark Registration” 17 November 2016.
- Englander, Joseph. “Apple Verdict Against Samsung Upheld By Full Panel of Federal Circuit” 7 October 2016.
- Englander, Joseph. “11th Circuit Guides on Whether a Bench Trial Occurs When MSJs Are Pending and Provides New Comprehensive Trademark Analysis” July 28 2016.
- Englander, Joseph. “Commercial Offer for Sale Factor of Patent On Sale Bar Analysis Clarified by En Banc Federal Circuit Opinion” 11 July 2016.
- Englander, Joseph. “Biosimilar Process Clarified by Federal Circuit Decision on Biologics Act” 5 July 2016.
- Englander, Joseph. “SCOTUS holds that an appeal to review a PTAB decision whether to hold an IPR is DOA” 20 June 2016.
- Speaker, "Trademark Failure to Function.", 10th Annual Florida Bar IP Symposium, April 2019
- Speaker, "Top 10 Intellectual Property Questions and Issues", Miami Execs Breakfast Seminar, April 2019