James N. Hurley is a Shareholder and Chair for the firm's Admiralty and Maritime Law Practice Group. With over 30 years of experience handling complex matters in the maritime industry, Jim provides full-cycle legal representation to his clients, from helping them achieve their initial goals to ensuring their continued success should disputes arise.
Jim represents domestic and international insurers, cargo carriers, major cruise lines, operators and charter companies, and marina and terminal owners and operators in negotiating and drafting various marine-related contracts essential to their business, including the purchase, construction and sale of vessels, financing and vessel registration, concessionaire contracts, contracts for charters, and storage contracts. Additionally, Jim regularly assists private clients with purchasing, financing, and registering multi-million dollar vessels for personal use.
Jim has significant experience trying maritime and admiralty cases in state and federal courts, and frequently represents clients in disputes including passenger and crew personal injury claims, first party coverage disputes, property damage claims, and commercial disputes. Jim also advises clients on regulatory compliances issues and defends civil, criminal, and administrative enforcement actions.
Jim is consistently recognized by esteemed legal publications Florida Super Lawyers, Florida Trend Legal Elite, and Best Lawyers in America, which recognized Jim as the "Miami Admiralty and Maritime Lawyer of the Year" in 2011, 2015 and 2017. Widely recognized for his professional expertise, Jim is a frequent author on various topics in domestic and international maritime law, and is called upon to share his experience at maritime seminars throughout the country.
Jim is Board Certified in Admiralty & Maritime Law by the Florida Bar, served on the Certification Committee of the Admiralty and Maritime Section of The Florida Bar, and has assisted in drafting the certification exam. He is also past Chair of the Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, where he currently serves on its Advisory Committee.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Florida Bar, Admiralty & Maritime Law, Certification Committee
- Dade County Bar Association
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
In the News
- “Forum Selection Clauses After Atlantic Marine,” 3rd Annual ACI Admiralty and Maritime Claims and Litigation Seminar, February 27-28, 2014
- “Applications for Marine Insurance: Truth or Consequences,” Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, Summer Seminar, June 2003 - Present
- "Punitive Damages in Maritime Law," ACI Annual Admiralty and Maritime Claims and Litigation, 2013
- "Recent Trends and Developments in Charter Parties," Association of Transportation Law Professionals, 2013
- "Maritime Law Boot Camp," ACI Annual Admiralty and Maritime Claims and Litigation, 2012
- Co-Author, "Charter Parties: Safe Harbor Warranty and Cargo Liabilities," Journal of Transportation Law, Logistics and Policy, Volume 80, Number 4, 4th Quarter 2013
- “Marina Liability,” The Florida Bar Maritime Law and Practice, Fourth Edition, 2005