Howard E. Fox's global environmental practice encompasses environmental and land use transactions, regulation and litigation as well as toxic torts and product liability. In each of these areas, Howard's experience working in the Florida and United States government enables him to implement effective, cost-efficient strategies to achieve his clients' goals. Howard also serves as a corporate advisor in bringing Israeli tech and infrastructure companies into the U.S. market, taking companies public and acquiring and selling companies.
Howard’s international practice paves the way for global advancement by bridging Israeli tech and commerce to the U.S. market and vice versa. In addition to start-ups and governments, Howard frequently represents publicly traded companies, including global manufacturers, distributors and power companies. Throughout his career, Howard has established good working relationships with environmental officials throughout the nation and at the top levels of industry and government.
Previously, Howard served as a Senior Attorney in the Civil Enforcement Section of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP), where he litigated cases involving the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, RCRA, Florida's CERCLA, Florida's Safe Drinking Water Act and many other environmental laws. Many of Howard's cases at the FDEP were against Fortune 500 companies, hazardous waste generators, and local governments.
Prior to FDEP, Howard worked for the U.S. Senate, Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship where he developed relationships with U.S. Senators and their staff. During law school, he clerked in the U.S. Department of Justice, Environmental Enforcement Section, where he wrote the first draft of a complaint the U.S. filed against BP Products North America, Inc. The case settled for the largest single-facility Clean Air Act settlement in history ($15 million). Howard also worked in the Public Health Division of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Office of General Counsel, as well as the legal department of Henry Schein, Inc., a Fortune 400 company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association Air Quality Committee
- Vice-Chair, August 2016 - August 2017
- American Bar Association, Environment, Energy, and Resources Section & Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice Section
- Florida Association of Environmental Professionals
- National Association of Environmental Professionals
- Broward County Bar Association, Rising Waters Committee
- Dade County Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee
- The Florida Bar, Environmental and Land Use Section
- Florida State College of Law, Law Students' Oral Arguments
- Speaker, Florida International University College of Law, Environmental Law Society, March 2017
- Speaker, University of Miami School of Law, Environmental Law and Policy, November 2016
- Speaker, University of Miami - Ecosystem Science and Policy, March 2016
- Speaker, Florida International University College of Law, Environmental Law Society, October 2015
- Speaker, University of Miami School of Law, Environmental Law and Policy, October 2015
- Speaker, "The Current State of Federal and State Environmental Enforcement - with an emphasis on Florida,” National Association of Environmental Professionals (NAEP) 2014 Annual Conference, April 7 - 10, 2014
- Speaker, University of Miami School of Law, Environmental Law and Policy, Spring 2014
- Speaker, Florida State University College of Law, Environmental Law, Spring 2012