Ira J. Gonzalez is an associate in the firm's Products Liability & Toxic Torts
group located at our Miami Office.
Ira's practice focuses primarily in local government law and in civil and commercial litigation in the areas of Product Liability, Real Estate/Construction, and Medical Malpractice. His experience includes advising public entities in addressing FOIA requests and compliance with state sunshine and open government laws. Additionally, participating in all aspects of litigation on both insurer-driven and insured-directed legal matters defending companies in a wide variety of tort claims including tobacco products, motor vehicles and sporting goods, particularly by preparing legal pleadings, developing discovery strategies, conducting fact witness interviews and depositions, arguing dispositive motions, and preparing for trial. Ira has also represented corporate, real estate and construction clients in matters involving construction defect claims, UCC claims and disputes between property owners, contractors, tenants and design professionals. Ira has served as counsel for a large non-profit, academic, healthcare system in medical malpractice litigation and medical review panel hearings, including successfully arguing dispositive motions on behalf of the hospital and its medical professionals.
Prior to practicing law, Ira served in a number of roles in Miami government, including assistant policy coordinator for the Mayor and chief of operations for code enforcement, in which he represented city interests at solid waste and code enforcement hearings. He was also a law clerk for the Office of the City Attorney, in which he analyzed zoning laws, local code applicability, lien foreclosure and federal/state preemption issues. As chief of operations for code enforcement, he directed zoning ordinance enforcement, public works enforcement and city code enforcement activities, monitored the activities of over 50 employees, and assisted the director in administering a $3 million budget.
Ira graduated cum laude from Loyola University New Orleans College of Law in 2010, where he also received an Environmental Law Certificate, and earned an M.B.A. from Barry University in Miami in 2005 and a B.S., also from Barry, in 2001. He was featured in the New Orleans CityBusiness' "Ones to Watch" in the legal industry publication and also received the 2015 Louisiana State Bar Association Pro Bono Century Award for donating more than 100 hours of pro bono service in 2014 with the Louisiana State Bar Association.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Bar
- Governmental and Public Policy Advocacy Committee, 2017-2018
- Visit Tampa Bay, Advisory Board, 2016-2017
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation Products Liability Committee
- Co-Chair of Chemical & Toxic Tort Subcommittee
- Former Co-Chair of Consumer Products Subcommittee and Young Lawyers Subcommittee
- Cuban American Bar Association, Member
- The Pro Bono Project, Board of Directors, 2015-2016
- Hispanic Lawyers' Association of Louisiana, President, Vice-President, Secretary, 2011-2016
- Panelist, "How to Properly Handle Internal Investigations to Preserve Privileges", American Bar Association, January 2017
- Moderator, "How to Manage Conversations with Expert Witnesses", American Bar Association, January 2014
- Panelist, "The Evolution of Ethics", American Bar Association, January 2014
- Panelist, "Land Use Hot Topics", American Bar Association, Spring 2010
- Author, The Leaning Tower of San Francisco, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, December 2016
- Co-Author, "Will Arbitration Clauses in Consumer Contracts become Extinct?", American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, May 2016
- Co-Author, "The Evolution of Drywall Litigation", American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, August 2015
- Co-Author, "To Be Natural, Or Not to Be..." American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, January 2014
- Co-Author, “Florida’s P3 Legislation Creates Process for Increased Private Sector Participation in Public Building, Infrastructure Projects”, July 24, 2013
- Co-Author, "Regulating the Vacancy of Property", American Bar Association's The Urban Lawyer, Summer 2010; At The Cutting Edge 2010: Land Use Law from The Urban Lawyer, 2010